Fueling Your Workout
Written by Chandra Price
Just as important as the workout itself, is the nutrition powering your body! If you are debating whether or not to eat before a workout, the answer is usually yes. Here are some easy guidelines to picking pre-workout snacks that will help your body perform at its best:
Don’t run on empty!
Working out on an empty stomach can lead to low blood sugar, meaning your body doesn’t have the “fuel” it needs to power muscles and other systems. You may feel dizzy or lightheaded, or get fatigued quickly.
Don’t eat too much
If you are really hungry, try to eat a bigger meal 2-3 hours before your workout. This gives your body time to digest the bulk of the food so that you don’t feel full and sluggish.
What kind of foods are best?
A mix of simple and complex carbs and healthy sugars are great options to give you the energy boost and fuel you need. Here are some great snack ideas:
· Oatmeal and fruit – slow digesting carbs and natural sugars will release more slowly into your bloodstream, giving you energy throughout the workout
· Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana – Whole wheat is a healthy carb that digests easily. Peanut butter adds a bit of protein, while the banana is rich in potassium which will help your body replenish those levels as you sweat.
· Hard Boiled Eggs- high in protein and low in fat, this snack is the best of both worlds to give you an energy boost.
· Apple slices with almond butter- Apples are easily digested and full of vitamins and antioxidants. Dip in almond butter for an extra protein kick!
· Energy or granola bar- these can be a satisfying and easy pre-workout snack. Just make sure you select to bars loaded with protein and oats, and stay away from the bars filled with a lot of added sugar or chocolate.
Stay away from
Foods high in fat, gluten, and lactose. These are harder to digest and will likely slow down your workout and make you feel like there’s a pit in your stomach.
Eating nutritious, healthy carbs can keep your energy elevated during your workout and help you achieve your goals!